Anastasia S. Politou is a member of BRI-FORTH since 2007. She holds a B.Sc. in Chemistry from the University of Athens, Greece and M.Sc. and PhD degrees in Chemistry from New York University, USA. She worked as a post-doctoral fellow in the Structural Biology and Biocomputing Program of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), as a Visiting Associate Professor in the Chemistry Dept., University of Crete and as a Research Fellow in the National Institute for Medical Research, Medical Research Council, Mill Hill, London, UK. Since 2001 she has been working as an Assistant Professor at the Ioannina University, School of Medicine. A.S. Politou has published 35 research articles (over 1.080 citations). Her recent research interests include the study of the structure and dynamics of chromatin-related proteins and protein complexes. Her administrative work includes the establishment and management of the first High Resolution NMR facility in Greece (University of Crete, 1996-1999) and of the DNA Microarray facility at the University of Ioannina and the management of several research grants.
Kalousi A, Mylonis I, Politou AS, Chachami G, Paraskeva E, Simos G. (2010) Casein kinase 1 regulates human hypoxia-inducible factor HIF-1. J. Cell Sci. 123:2976-86.
Markaki Y, Christogianni A, Politou AS, Georgatos SD. (2009) Phosphorylation of histone H3 at threonine-3 is part of a combinatorial pattern that marks and configures mitotic chromatin. J. Cell Sci. 122:2809-19.
Karetsou Z, Emmanouilidou A, Sanidas I, Liokatis S, Nikolakaki E, Politou AS, Papamarcaki T. (2009) Identification of distinct SET/TAF-Iβ domains required for core histone binding and quantitative characterisation of the interaction. BMC Biochem. 10:10.
Georgatos SD, Markaki Y, Christogianni A, Politou AS. (2009) Chromatin remodeling during mitosis: a structure-based code? Front. Biosci. 14:2017-2027.
Sanfelice D, Tancredi T, Politou A, Pastore A, Temussi PA. (2009) Cold denaturation and aggregation: a comparative NMR study of Titin I28 in bulk and in a confined environment. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 131:11662-3.
Publications (after 2000)
- A. Christogianni, E. Chatzantonaki, K. Soupsana, I. Giannios, A. Platania, A.S. Politou, S. Georgatos (2017) Heterochromatin remodeling in embryonic stem cells proceeds through stochastic de-stabilization of regional steady-states. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1860(6):661-673.
- A. Papadaki, A.S. Politou, D. Smirlis, M.P. Kotini, K. Kourou, T. Papamarcaki, H. Boleti (2015) The Leishmania donovani histidine acid ecto-phosphatase LdMAcP: insight into its structure and function. Biochem J. 467(3):473-86.
- A. Vlachopanos, E. Soupsana, A.S. Politou, G.V. Papamokos (2014) POTAMOS mass spectrometry calculator: computer aided mass spectrometry to the post-translational modifications of proteins. A focus on histones. Comput Biol Med. 55:36-41.
- G.V. Papamokos, G. Tziatzos, D.G. Papageorgiou, S.D. Georgatos, A.S. Politou, E. Kaxiras (2012) Structural Role of RKS Motifs in Chromatin Interactions: A Molecular Dynamics Study of HP1 Bound to a Variably Modified Histone Tail, Biophysical Journal, 102(8): 1926-1933.
- S. Liokatis, C. Edlich, K. Soupsana, I. Giannios, P. Panagiotidou, K. Tripsianes, M. Sattler, S.D. Georgatos, A.S. Politou (2012) Solution Structure and Molecular Interactions of Lamin B Receptor Tudor Domain, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 287(2): 1032-1042.
- G. Sflomos, E. Kostaras, E. Panopoulou, N. Pappas, A. Kyrkou, A.S. Politou, T. Fotsis, C. Murphy (20111) ERBIN is a new SARA-interacting protein: competition between SARA and SMAD2 and SMAD3 for binding to ERBIN, JOURNAL OF CELL SCIENCE, 124(19): 3209-3222.
- A. Kalousi, I. Mylonis, A.S. Politou, G. Chachami, E. Paraskeva and G. Simos (2010): Casein kinase 1 regulates human hypoxia-inducible factor HIF-1. J. Cell Sci., J Cell Sci. 123(17):2976-86.
- D. Sanfelice, T. Tancredi, A.S. Politou, A. Pastore and P.A. Temussi (2009): Cold denaturation and aggregation: a comparative NMR study of Titin I28 in bulk and in a confined environment. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 131:11662-11663.
- Y. Markaki, A. Christogianni, A.S. Politou and S.D. Georgatos (2009): Phosphorylation of histone H3 at threonine-3 is part of a combinatorial pattern that marks and configures mitotic chromatin. J. Cell Sci., 122:2809-2819.
- Z. Karetsou, A. Emmanouilidou, I. Sanidas, S. Liokatis, E. Nikolakaki, A.S. Politou and T. Papamarcaki (2009): Identification of distinct SET/TAF-Iβ domains required for core histone binding and quantitative characterisation of the interaction. BMC Biochemistry, 10:10.
- S.D. Georgatos, Y. Markaki, A. Christogianni and AS Politou (2009): Chromatin remodeling during mitosis: a structure-based code? Front Biosci., 14:2017-2027.
- A. Pastore, S.R. Martin, A.S. Politou, T. Stemmler and P.A. Temussi (2007): Unbiased cold denaturation: low and high temperature unfolding of yeast frataxin under physiological conditions. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 129:5474-5475.
- G. Martic, Z. Karetsou, K. Kefala, A.S. Politou, C.R. Clapier, T. Straub and T. Papamarcaki (2005): Parathymosin affects the binding of linker histone H1 to nucleosomes and remodels chromatin structure. J. Biol. Chem., 280:16143-16150.
- D. Bolis, A.S. Politou, G. Kelly, A. Pastore and P.A. Temussi (2004): Protein stability in nanocages: a novel approach for influencing protein stability by molecular confinement. J. Mol. Biol., 336:203-212.
- S. Adinolfi, M. Nair, A. Politou, E. Bayer, S. Martin, P.A. Temussi and A. Pastore (2004): The factors governing the thermal stability of frataxin orthologues: How to increase the stability of a protein. Biochemistry, 43: 6511-6518.
- P.F. Foltopoulou, G.A. Zachariadis, A.S. Politou, A.S. Tsiftsoglou and L.C. Papadopoulou (2004): Recombinant human wild-type and mutated forms of the mitochondrial Cox assembly Sco2 protein differ in physical state and copper binding capacity. Mol. Genet. Metab., 81:225-236.
- C. Pozidis, A. Chalkiadaki, A. Gomez-Serrano, H. Stahlberg., I. Brown, A.P. Tabakaki, A. Lustig, G. Sianidis, A.S. Politou, A. Engel, N.J. Panopoulos, J. Mansfield, A.P. Pugsley, S. Karamanou and A. Economou (2003): Type III protein translocase: HrcN is a peripheral membrane ATPase that is activated by oligomerization. J. Biol. Chem. 278:25816-25824.
- N. Biris, A. Stavrakoudis, A.S. Politou, E. Mikros, M. Sakarellos-Daitsiotis, C. Sakarellos and V. Tsikaris (2003): Slow conformational exchange of short linear peptides in DMSO solution: The example of Ac-RGD-NH2. Biopolymers 69:72-86.
- S. Adinolfi, M. Trifuoggi, A.S. Politou, S. Martin and A. Pastore (2002): A structural approach to understanding the iron-binding properties of phylogenetically different frataxins. Hum. Mol. Genet. 11:1865-1877.
- C. Baud, S. Karamanou, G. Sianidis, E. Vrontou, A.S. Politou and A. Economou (2002): Allosteric communication between signal peptides and the SecA protein DEAD motor ATPase domain. J. Biol. Chem. 277:13724-13731.
- A.S. Politou, R. Spadaccini, C. Joseph, B. Brannetti, R. Guerrini, M. Helmer-Citterich, S. Salvadori, P.A. Temussi and A. Pastore (2002): The SH3 domain of nebulin binds selectively to type II peptides: theoretical prediction and experimental validation. J. Mol. Biol. 316:305-315.
- G. Sianidis, S. Karamanou, E. Vrontou, K. Boulias, K. Repanas, N. Kyrpides, A.S. Politou and A. Economou (2001): Cross-talk between catalytic and regulatory elements in a DEAD motor domain is essential for SecA function. EMBO J. 20:961-970.
- S. Vrtala, K. Hirtenlehner, M. Susani, M. Akdis, F. Kussebi, C.A. Akdis, K. Blaser, P. Hufnagl, B.R. Binder, A. Politou, A. Pastore, L. Vangelista, W. R. Sperr, H. Semper, P. Valent, C. Ebner, D. Kraft and R. Valenta (2001): Genetic engineering of a hypoallergenic trimer of the major birch pollen allergen Bet. FASEB J. 15:2045-2047.
- C. Joseph,G. Stier, R.O. Brien, A.S. Politou, R.A. Atkinson, A. Bianco, J.E. Ladbury, S.R. Martin and A. Pastore (2001): A structural characterization of the interactions between titin and actinin in the Z-disk of the sarcomere. Biochemistry 40: 4957-4965.
- C. Pozidis, E. Lammertyn, A.S. Politou, E. Bosmans, J. Anné and A. Economou (2001): Protein secretion biotechnology using Streptomyces lividans: large-scale production of tumour necrosis factor α. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 72:611-619.
- S. Vlachou, A. Politou, P. Dais, K. Mazeau and F.R. Taravel (2001): Structure and dynamics of the branched polysaccharide scleroglucan in dilute solutions studied by 1D and 2D NMR spectroscopy. Carbohyd. Polym. 46:349-363.
- N. Kourmouli, P. Theodoropoulos, G. Dialynas, A. Bakou, A.S. Politou, I.G. Cowell, P.B. Singh and S.D. Georgatos (2000): Dynamic association of Heterochromatin protein 1 with the nuclear envelope. EMBO J. 19:6558-6568.